Monday, March 30, 2009

How They Trained: Benji Durden

Lifted from an interview on Pete Magill's incomparable blog, insights from a sub-2:10 marathoner with 25 sub-2:20s to his credit:

When I started out, I mostly did interval training and little else. I ran very few long runs, and those I did were usually too fast. I evolved over a number of years to more rational training. There were steps along the way - more long runs, less intervals, slower long runs. How I evolved would be an interesting story if I could remember all of the details. But the important thing I learned is that the mix that worked best for me was about 90 miles a week with 3 "hard days" and 4 "easy days."

A typical week would be a single easy run of 45 minutes on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Tuesday would be my speed day. I'd usually run about 6 x 800 or 5 x 1000 in a 2 to 2-1/2 hour workout in the morning. In the afternoon, I'd run 45 to 60 minutes.

Thursdays would be my long run, and it would normally be 2 :20 to 2:45 [that's hours and minutes] at 6:40 pace in the morning, with another 45 to 60 minute afternoon run.

Saturdays would be a low-key road race in the 10K to 25K range, with enough warm-up and warm-down to get in at least 2 hours. Then I'd do another 45 to 60 minute afternoon run.

I would back off of this program about 2 to 4 times per year for "important" races, which were almost always marathons.

1 comment:

  1. I have been amazed with Magill's blog. It seems that he has a job aside from the massive blog and is just doing that as a hobby? Maybe to promote his coaching services? Or maybe he plans to turn it into something like LetsRun for mastes? Regardless, he is putting an impressive amount of content out there. I'm waiting for a feature on the local FF Masters team.

    ReplyDelete