Saturday, June 6, 2009

Goals & Attitude


This comes from a rather recent great article on Colorado's Jenny Barringer, to exemplify some attributes highlighted on this blog, including the previous one on keeping one's goals in a primary spot in one's daily life:
It takes determination, confidence, passion and skill just to consider hanging a list of collegiate running records on a wall in your home with the idea of breaking them.

Actually getting the job done requires so much more.

Jenny Barringer met the challenge she set for herself several years ago when walked that piece of paper over to the wall and stuck it there, where she could see it every day. She has chipped away at them, slowly striking lines through the names of former record holders and their times and replacing them with her own.

Barringer's humble-yet-hungry attitude will serve her well and carry her far in both the sport and in any of her other pursuits:

I cannot repay this university what they’ve given me, the resources and just the gift of the four years here,” she said. “So the closest I can come is by fulfilling the promise I made four years ago. I’m definitely staying.”

While it might seem there isn’t much left for Barringer to accomplish on the college level, she insists there is still plenty of motivation to stick around for another cross country season. After all, she earned her scholarship to CU based on her cross country successes, yet she has never won the Big 12 title in the sport, always finishing behind former Texas Tech runner Sally Kipyego.

“That’s a huge part of why I am staying,” Barringer said. “To me, that’s the most coveted award of my four years here and I still haven’t gotten it.”

1 comment:

  1. She is pretty amazing, isn't she? That picture of her coming off the steeple. Wow! I don't think I could do that even if there was NO steeple.

    ReplyDelete