Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dynamic Stimulus

From a recent interview over on U.S. Distance Runner with Justin Young, one of his responses highlights an important concept that is often overlooked by coaches and athletes:
We’ve done a few things different this time around. Not that I felt the training for Tokyo needed changing – but we always like to try new things, push the limits a bit; I guess the idea is to get out of your comfort zone, since it’s quite easy to get in a rut in your training, especially if something seems to work – just because it worked before doesn’t mean it will work again.
More highlights:
The best advice I could give a younger runner is to persevere. Don’t let a bad race discourage you. Running is a very difficult sport – it’s physically challenging, yes. But the hardest part, in my opinion, is learning how to cope with failure. If you really want to find out who you are as a runner, you’ll have to learn how to refocus after a race goes poorly – and not let it destroy your confidence and determination.

---

I don’t hang out much with any group of runners outside of races or events; I don’t travel to different training locations, like many people seem to do. I just focus on being consistent each day in training. For me, running has never been a social thing – it has never been a way to meet friends. I’ve made friends along the way, but it hasn’t been something that I thrive off. I guess I’m a bit of a loner.

1 comment: