Friday, August 28, 2009

Newtonian Principles

Dyestat recently posted a great long-format interview that Matt McCue conducted with famed York H.S. coach Joe Newton. Some highlights:
  • [Arthur Lydiard] he told me, “Joe, everybody thinks we’re running 100 miles a week, but I don’t tell them that in that 100 miles a week I don’t count the morning run, I don’t count the warm up and I don’t count the cool down. So everybody thinks that they can run 100 miles a week and beat us. Hell, Peter’s running 200 miles a week.”
  • Kids don’t care if you are an Olympic runner, the world’s greatest man, the strongest man in the world, or if you’ve got four PhD’s in exercise physiology. They don’t want to hear it until they find out that you care about them. Once they find out that you care about them, they will do anything for you. That is the secret. There has to be a relationship between you and your athletes.
  • When I first started coaching we had 20, 25 guys and now, 50 years later, 200, 225, but I tried every single day, one time during practice, to call a guy’s name out.
  • I was reading this in the ‘40’s or ‘50’s and [Abraham Lincoln] said that ‘whenever I make a decision in life, no matter what it is, immediately 50% of the people think I’m right and 50% think I’m wrong, so I follow my course to the end.’
  • Success is being able to do your best when it counts the most.
  • I have a saying that makes them laugh. I say, “When you are running fast, run faster.”
  • Plato, over 2,000 years ago, said, ‘The duty of education—and take that word out and say, ‘the duty of coaching'-- is to make good people,’ because good people act nobly. That’s my goal. I’m trying to make good people that will act nobly and go on to be doctors and lawyers. That’s the story of coaching. It’s more than running.

No comments:

Post a Comment